A Survivor’s Guide to Memorizing God’s Word
Why it is necessary to memorize Scripture:
1. In order that you may be conformed to Christ.
2. As a means of strengthening your faith.
3. So you can have daily victory over sin.
4. To equip you to comfort and counsel the people you love.
5. So you can effectively communicate the Gospel to unbelievers.
6. To enrich your personal communion with God.
Some helpful reminders:
Scripture Memory is not a race. It is a lifelong habit.
Set goals for yourself and be accountable to them.
Start small. An overly ambitious project will leave you frustrated and defeated.
Read the passage out Loud and write it down numerous times.
Incorporate the passage in your prayer time.
Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
11 I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
12 Blessed are you, O Lord;
teach me your statutes!
13 With my lips I declare
all the rules of your mouth.
14 In the way of your testimonies I delight
as much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate on your precepts
and fix my eyes on your ways.
16 I will delight in your statutes;
I will not forget your word. (ESV)